Monday 12 March 2012

Review: Thoughts on Future War Commander

I've had a good read through the rules a few times now and having played BlitzKrieg Commander I have a decent grasp of how the mechanics (at least those not specific to sci-fi) play out. Here's my thoughts on the rule-set as it stands.



Core Game Mechanics

As you'll probably know this game is based on the Warmaster mechanic, essentially this means that 'command' units, which have a 'Command Value' (CV) between 6-10,  roll 2d6 and have to score equal or under the CV to give their battle-group an order. Units can receive as many orders per turn (moving, shooting deploying etc) as the commander can past command tests, albeit with modifiers which decrease the chances of success for each action, distance, obstructions etc. Without regurgitating the rulebook this means that the fog of war is well modelled, if you roll well you units can bound across the table and level city blocks, however, the flip-side is that if you suck with dice (e.g. Anatoli) you will be serially disappointed as your elite infantry sit around scratching their blue arses. I think so long as you can take setbacks philosophically and don't want a 'tournament game' this won't be a major issue.

I've talked about the shooting mechanics for BKC on my previous post and these are the same so I won't go into it again. Something I find irritating about the rules is that whilst there is a distinction between soft and hard targets the units stats don't let you show this difference for each weapons system, your weapon either attacks both types of target equally or one not at all. So, for example, shooting your ion cannon at tanks and infantry might give you 4/80 (4d6, 60cm range) against both targets when you want the weapon significantly more powerful against tanks and less so against infantry. The same kind of problem emerges in close assault, units have an Assault value for attacking all units, soft and hard. I find it hard to believe that infantry with fists, assault rifles and grenades would be as effective at tank hunting as fighting infantry. This is even more problematic in a sci fi setting because you cannot assume that all races/creatures even have anti-tank weaponry at all, or the intelligence to target a tank's weak areas.  I know you could just wave some hands and say the bugs have acid blood or the troops all have disposable bazookas but it just takes the granularity out of the system, a key component in my mind of any generic sci-fi game system. I think I may have to tweak this.

Technology and Army Lists

The website boasts that the book covers a large plethora of science fiction technology and this is true, there are some cool gagets like shields, shield domes, plasma weapons, teleporters and smart missiles. However, I felt that seeing as its a sci-fi book this section needed to be longer and include things like ion weapons and micromissiles, although admittedly its no real effort to make up rules for these and add them in.

I was quite impressed with the army doctrines section which gives ideas on how to model armies with different structures and psychologies, this is a key element to a generic sci-fi game and I'm really glad they put it in. However, I'm not entirely sure how to get the best out of it, the technology level of the forces (which imo could have done with either an 'ultra' or 'mid' level in addition to primitive, contemporary and hi-tech) gives a reduction in total number of points you can take, the army doctrines seem to impose no reductions or points modifications despite the fact that the cyborg doctrine appears to make armies considerably more powerful. I may have to enquire further about this on the forum.

Presentation

The book certainly looks good, I'd have liked more pictures (who doesn't?) but as a whole the book is well written and presented with some really nice, well painted armies (sadly mostly 6mm and 28mm as this book predated the recent 15mm sci-fi rush). Its mostly in black and white with colour sections but this is only to be expected, after all, they are a small publishing house.

Conclusion

Overall I'm excited about this book, there's some great mechanics and potential in there I just think it needs some tweaking to make it the game that I want to play. I intend to use FWC as a chasis on to which I can bolt additional rules and bits and bobs to create something which fits with what I want my 15mm sci-fi armies to be like.










39 comments:

  1. Intruiging! Are there any major changes from BKC? Or is it just BKC with some SciFi flavour and different army lists?

    It's a perfectly good idea to use a core ruleset and bolt-on your own material.

    You've got me browsing 15mm SciFi now. I was happily ignoring both scale and genre until now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is essentially the same game, I think there are some minor changes but I'm not sure precisely where exactly. One of the main differences that I can see is that the units have less hits but much better armour saves, this is purely for balance I think. There are quite a few army lists altho none of them cover any of the models I own, they seem to be aimed primarily at Epic 40K players and 6mm fans. The building guidelines are serviceable but not great imo, might end up just not bothering with points value except in the vaguest sense.

    Muhhahaha browse away, there are some great minis at good prices. I am looking for an opponent...

    Try: Critical Mass Games, Ground Zero Games, Khurasan Miniatures, Rebel Minis, Art Crime Productions and Micropanzer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the mechanics of FWC well enough but at the end of the day it's lasers tacked on to WW2 tanks tacked on to an ancients-era command structure. Hardly feels like a sci-fi game when soldiers need to be within shouting distance of a commander.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BKCII has a distinction between hard and soft targets. Maybe you could tweek FWC to do something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!

    I am interested in a ruleset to play sci-fi 15mm at the same scale that Flames of War, i was thinking in FWC but i think that it´s not the same idea. What ruleset can you suggest to me?

    Thaks a lot!

    Valthaer
    valthaer@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. The article you wrote was very helpful for me. I am looking forward to reading more articles of yours in the future. The visa for Turkey is completely open now and you can take benefits of the Turkish visa facility and Explore the Turkey like a local .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I have read your article and it's so good I will share it with family and friends. I want to inform the travelers who want to visit Turkey that they can check Turkey visa requirement before applying for the visa application form online which is easy to track and get on email.

    ReplyDelete
  8. International Flights On January 25 Operated By Air India Under Vande Bharat Mission. During the global pandemic, these planes provided a vital lifeline for stranded travellers. The Indian government launched the Vande Bharat Mission to repatriate people who were stranded abroad owing to travel restrictions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your posts are a true delight, engaging, and filled with invaluable insights. Keep up the fantastic work! Embark on an Unforgettable Experience in Kenya, where diverse landscapes, abundant wildlife, and rich cultural heritage await to create cherished memories that last a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am truly thankful to the owner of this web site who has shared this grateful post here. Bolivian travelers! India calling? You're in luck – India e Visa for Bolivia citizen. Whether for tourism, business, or health, this digital visa makes it easy. Ensure your passport's got six months' validity and have a recent photo ready. Get set for an incredible Indian journey!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...